Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Are There Any Grants For Home Repairs?

here is an excerpt from my Grants-Related Page:


When looking for a home repair-related grant the one thing that you are going to have to realize is that there is no one place that has grants for repairs to a home. It will depend on the type of repair(s) that you want. There are programs that help with the cost of heating-related repairs - such as getting your heating system repaired or replaced. In my own area (PA) there is a grant program for $25,000 worth of repairs to homes that fall within a certain area. There are also programs that provide assistance such as "emergency" funding for repairs and/or needed necessities so you can also look outside the realm of house repair categories as far as grant programs are concerned. So you assess the repairs that you need done and then you find the funding programs that you qualify for. It is as simple as that.

added 11/4/05

Being old, female and poor should be enough to find some sort of help to get $$ for home repair. I sent in paperwork for weeks and then was told I make too much (SS) for a grant and I don't have good enough credit to get a low interest loan. I thought they were for low income people. Only reason I have no credit is cause I don't buy on credit! Where do you go to find help? My house is in need of repairs badly.

I don't know which program you applied for but there are programs for those that are elderly. Case in point - I'm working with someone now because their heating system is not working and the program will repair it for free! It's really crazy because the same program will also pay an amount to her heating bill as well. It won't cover the whole bill but there will be 2 grants that will be applied towards the heating bill plus the repair work to her heating system. As a matter of fact if her heating system is shot they will install a new one! There are also programs that are tied in with the lottery - you know the money being used for programs to help the elderly with as much as a $500 check that can be deposited to a bank account - from a government program. In the area where I live the residents are eligible for $20,000.00 in repairs from a grant program. So you may not be looking in the right places or the specifics of the program that you were applying for have to be better known.

added 6/6/05

I was reading your message about the Gov-grant you are aplying for. I am a single and looking for any gov grant programs that I will be able to apply for. I have search the internet about all kinds of programs, but always comes up with these bokks that you have to buy in order to get these address to these company that you have to apply with. I would like to know if you could tell me a addres(s) where I can write to to apply for a grant. I need help in doing some work to my house in order to live in it safely. Any information would be much appreciated.

You will definitely have to start doing some homework. Just going from your post alone you would first have to see what is available in your area. If you are on any kind of assistance like food stamps then you should have a case worker. A lot of grant programs that relate to home repairs have to do with the elderly and disabled. However you should first check and see what programs are available under HUD and then from there check your state government and then from there your local governement facilities. There are also grants provided that are from organizations other than the government. For instance there is a grant of $125 for winning essays from single mothers to help inspire others. You have to look into all the options available to you.

No comments: