Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thinking About Grantwriting As A Career?

I came across your Working From Home blog while searching for information on grant writing. I recently left a counseling job after being in social services/non-profit industry for around 10 years. I am looking for a more family-friendly career change, or at least a new slant on what I can do with my experience in social services, and have been thinking of looking into grantwriting. However, I have no idea how to get started or where to find more information on typical requirements to become a grantwriter or prospects for employment. If you have any basic advice or can point me to some good websites or contacts I would really appreciate it! Congratulations on all you have accomplished, it looks like you are juggling a lot of different roles in your professional life!

~M

Well since grantwriting is going to involve a LOT of research I can think of no better way to get yourself acquainted with research than by going to your local library and finding out as much as you can about the subject of grantwriting.

Even online you can get a lot of research done as well!

Also too I have notices that there have been grantwriting courses being made available by very legitimate learning places - so you may want to check and see if there are any available in your area.

Prospects for employment? If you are able to find grant funding for a program that will help to grow your reputation and judging by the amount of email I get prospects in this career area are very good.

Personally though I would advise you to work on a freelance basis.

No comments: