Tuesday, March 18, 2008

State Daycare Grant Program - DEADLINE!

State child care providers may be eligible for grants to increase the supply of safe, healthy, quality child care where shortages exist. The grants are available through one of the state's Child Care programs.

This grant program seeks to increase the availability of school-age care, infant and toddler care, care for children with disabilities, care during non-traditional hours, and care for mildly ill children.

Grants will be awarded to those child care providers who meet the criteria for expanding, enhancing, or creating programs to fill identified gaps. About 25 percent of grant funds are available for incentive grants to help increase the quality of existing programs. The remaining 75 percent is designated for competitive grants to assist providers with start-up expenses and first-year operating costs related to expansion.

Providers may use funds for training, staff-related expenses, and for the purchase of equipment and supplies.

Applicants may call by phone or by visiting the state grant program's website.

There are two types of grants: capital and operational. Sources of funding include foundations, businesses, and government (local, state, and federal). Each funder has its own process, set of requirements, level of funding, and area of interest.

Programs may consider applying for grants to obtain added resources. Grants are usually monetary, but sometimes might be an in-kind gift such as computers.

Typically, funders will consider requests to:

  • Start up new programs

  • Fund special projects or initiatives (one-time costs)

Rarely do funders consider requests for operating expenses or ongoing costs unless the request shows how other funding will be obtained.

Programs or individuals interested in starting up a child care program, increasing the number of children being served, or simply enhancing the quality of an existing program might consider this state grant program. This grant provides funds to increase the supply and quality of child care in hard-to-find areas such as care for infants/toddlers, children with disabilities, school-age children, mildly ill children, and care during non-traditional hours.

Since 1997, one organization has managed this grant program through a contract with the state's Health and Social Services, Division of Social Services. The program provides funds to increase the supply and quality of child care for:

  • Infants/toddlers

  • Children with disabilities

  • School-age children

  • Mildly ill children

  • Care during non-traditional hours

Grant proposals are accepted three times a year through a proposal request process. The 2007-08 deadline is

April 7, 2008

You may apply to create new programs, expand existing programs, or enhance the quality of existing programs. Grants do not fund bricks and mortar, fencing, pools, food, rugs or carpets, office supplies and equipment, walkers/exersaucers, TV/VCRs, DVDs/videos, video gaming systems, or video/computer games.

In order to be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Serve low-income families and accept Purchase of Care

  • Be open Monday through Friday until 5:30 p.m. (at a minimum)

More information on this grant program is available via our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or by contacting us by email or website

No comments: