Monday, October 15, 2007

Flood Victims Eligible For Government Assistance

Those affected by the Northwood tornado in North Dakota are eligible for financial assistance. If you have been affected you can contact FEMA via their website or by calling them via their toll-free number.

Financial Assistance can include:

  • Medical, dental and funeral expenses

  • funding for repairs to homes damaged by the flood

  • Personal property

  • Transportation

  • and other expenses

Other Individual Assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or other aid programs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will also be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance. Grants do not have to be repaid, but loans from the SBA must be repaid.

You should apply for assistance even if you have insurance, because you may find you are under-insured or have unmet needs after your insurance settlement. If you have not already contacted your insurance agent to file a claim, please do this as soon as possible. Failure to file a claim with your insurance company may affect your eligibility for assistance. Insurance is your main source for money to put your life back in order after a disaster. But there are many things that insurance does not cover, so disaster programs may be able to help.

No comments: